*****Updated March 26 0320 ET *****
- Search efforts for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 resumed on Wednesday following improved weather conditions
- Malaysia's acting transport minister said 122 "potential objects" had been seen around 2,557km from Perth based on new French satellite images
- Six countries - Australia, New Zealand, the US, Japan, China and South Korea - are sending aircraft or ships to the search area
New data show the plane's last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth, Australia, far from any possible landing strip, the Malaysian prime minister said Monday at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur.
Najib Razak said Malaysia Airlines had informed the families of the 239 passengers and crew. The airline sent an SMS to relatives saying that it is to be "assumed beyond any reasonable doubt" that MH370 has been lost. The announcement appears to have been based solely on tracking data supplied by Inmarsat and not on sightings of debris in the ocean.
China, meanwhile, has asked Malaysia to hand over the data that led it to conclude the plane had flown into the sea.
"We demand the Malaysian side state the detailed evidence that leads them to this judgement as well as supply all the relevant information and evidence about the satellite data analysis," Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister Xie Hangsheng said, according to a statement on the ministry's website.
Meanwhile, a multinational search is continuing in the southern Indian Ocean. That search was suspended Tuesday due to "horrendous" weather.
David Johnston, Australia’s defense minister, described the search as taking place in “probably one of the most remote parts of the planet” and one that “has shipwrecked many sailors.”
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 went missing after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on 8 March.